We are looking for a Chemical Engineer/Chemist with expertise in elastomeric compound development, adhesive systems, bonding, molding operations (including insert molding), and production support. This candidate will provide process support by engaging with operations for new product introduction and continuous process improvement as well as troubleshooting and problem solving of real-time processing issues that affect product quality, throughput, and cost.
- Adjustment of elastomeric formulations using laboratory equipment (i.e. rubber roll-mill, Banbury, etc.) and establishment of the required compound test methods and acceptance criteria based on specific compound requirement so that the material is capable of producing a finished part that meets the customer’s requirements.
- Develops the processing specification and parameters for elastomeric compounds (eg. EPDM, HNBR, Silicones, etc.) using compound rheology and other relative process data and works with Production to insure the compound is processing in accordance with all internal specification and is meeting the customer requirements.
- Identifies material and develops the process for sufficient bonding, which includes surface preparation methods of substrates and selects suitable primer(s) and adhesive(s) that meet internal processing specification as well as the customer’s requirements.
- Participates with the Operations Team, Quality and Engineering on Continuous Improvement initiatives and in real-time problem solving of issues that can and will effect throughput, product quality, and deliveries.
- Conducts independent research on currently manufactured products and processes for understanding of materials composition and structure to identify areas of continuous improvement. Make recommendations on product and process improvement for implementation.
- Recommends new materials, adhesives and processing technologies through learning and keeping current with new developments in materials and adhesives, material processing, and material applications via on-line research and reading, industry periodicals, trade shows, seminars, conferences and constant contact with material and equipment suppliers.
- Update Material Safety Data Sheets database with lab and production requirements for management approval on a regular basis. Manage all chemical storage, including safety, disposal, and record-keeping.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- 5+ years of experience in elastomeric compound formulation, compound mixing, and compound problem solving.
- Familiarity with rheology analyzer and mechanical/tensile tester equipment.
- Strong analytical skills, excellent attention to detail, and outstanding research abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Master’s degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- High performance elastomer groups knowledge (silicones, fluroelastomers).
- Compound development for molding (injection, compression, transfer, and RAM), calendering, and extrusion.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.